Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"I'd Rather Be Fishing" in color!



This one didn't make it onto Facebook until March 30th, 2010. I even say it's three weeks late in the post. I don't know exactly why I was so slow in getting it to the people, although as you can see from this blog, sometimes time gets behind me. I'll tell you what, though; I was given some great advice from my old teacher, J.P.Crangle. He told me once to date every drawing that I do, and that way you can see your progress over the years. When I see something like this, I really take that advice to heart. Since this drawing, I feel like I have come 100% further in my skills in Photoshop. I still use it like a little baby trying to use a gatling gun, but I know I am way better than when I did this one. Anyway, I started with the horse man and moved right with this one. It seemed like the natural direction. Once I got over to the "strip club" I decided to put in another stripper, so I found one on the internet. She was from the old school and reminded me of the one in "The Graduate" when Dustin Hoffmann brings his date there and freaks her out. This got me thinking about old school New York, so I found another great picture on the interwebby of Times Square in the 1960's. I put it behind the Horseman, so that whole scene is actually happening  in the 60's. This made sense to me, as the horse man has clearly stolen one of Andy Warhol's wigs. I usually get rid of the pictures that I use in these drawings, but for some reason I kept this one; so I am adding it below, for your viewing pleasure. Oh, and if you ever want to check out some awesome cartoons by J.P. Crangle, go to this site:


No comments:

Post a Comment