Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

#12: "The Ballad of Mason McSwaine" In Color!

Looking back, I can't believe how lazy I was in coloring this in, and yet it is still one of my favorites. I guess since we aren't showing these in galleries or anywhere else besides Facebook, I cut a couple corners. Sue me! I was coloring this in when the website, LaLa still existed. Remember that one? You could listen to any album that you could think of once, and only once; but you could listen to the whole thing. It was an amazing site, and then Apple bought it and shut it down. I usually like Apple, but in this case I was really mad at them. Lala was such a great thing, you could revisit albums from your past or check out new albums without having to buy them again. One of my favorite things about LaLa at the time I was coloring this one was the huge cache of Grateful Dead shows it had. I can almost remember the show I was listening to while coloring this one. It was probably from Spring Tour of 1973. I love that period for the Dead, and there were so many good shows from around then to choose from. I would listen to an entire set and color, sometimes skipping the first set so I could listen to the more trippy, wild second sets. I used to be a huge fan when I was younger, and I never get tired of the Dead's earlier sound. I still like to listen to them every once in a while and coloring in these pictures is a great excuse to listen to a three or four hour concert. Plus, I am so familiar with the music that I don't get annoyed if Photoshop is messing with my mind; it's good to stay relaxed. And, you know, I think this one is all about music anyway. I don't remember when we named it, but I do remember thinking that the banjo player (possibly, though not necessarily Mason McSwaine) was the only real thing on the page, and the rest was his song to us. He's finger picking away and the images to his right are all part of his sick and colorful song. I would like to hear that song some day, so if anyone wants to write it, the visuals are all right there, and the name is already written. In fact, the hard part is done! There's a song right there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment