Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

#13 "Maybe Partying Will Help" In Color!

Where do you start with something like this? Did you know that the only nuclear exchange so far ( I hope I don't jinx it!) was the U.S. dropping bombs on Japan? Can you believe it? Back in 1945. I'm glad no one has dropped these bombs on other people, but at the same time it almost seems weird that no one else has. This picture is a test bombing, I think. I just googled atomic bomb and this was my favorite picture. I hope no one sues me over the re-imagining of their picture. I like how it puts the foreground into perspective, although it kind of screws both sides as both will be radioactive by the end of the day. The other piece of internet thievery is found on the basketball player on the right. I googled Biggest Afro in the NBA and I was rewarded with Darnell Hillman, so I made the guy on the right Darnell. Darnell played in the NBA from 1971 to 1980 and I think is most famous for his hair, not his basketball ability, although he was good enough to play. He played on a bunch of different teams, including the Denver Nuggets, which is the jersey I picked for him. I like the Nuggets. When I was a young, dumb kid, I liked that their name was a marijuana reference and then when they acquired Carmello Anthony, I became a fan in earnest. This drawing also is the first time I inserted a picture from my Holga 135 camera. I had recently bought it at this point in time, and was having a really great time with it. I still do. I love using film again, and the Holga and I were meant to be. Until I got that camera, I hadn't shot film in ten years! With the advent of digital, and film developers becoming fewer and fewer, I didn't even think about it as an option. With the Holga, you never know what your pictures are going to look like; it's always a mystery. I had taken a bunch of cool pictures with it down in St. John, and this one is a picture of the flower Bougainvillea. I also lost a roll of film from St. John because the roll never advanced in the camera; thats the tricky thing about Holgas. They're mysterious.  So, there are a lot of contradicting elements in this drawing. But, I think that is true with all of the Tim & Jeremy drawings; they are a composite of random elements that eventually create some sort of story. This story could have easily been named "Rasta Ed's Mezcal" which appears prominently in the center of the piece. No one would argue with you if you told them that it was inspired by that brand of Mezcal; they might even ask you where you can get some of your own. But, alas, it doesn't exists, so "Maybe Partying Will Help." This is a song by one of Tim's favorite bands, The Minutemen. You can listen to this song and the entire album here:

Also, here is the picture of the Bougainvillea from my Holga:

No comments:

Post a Comment