Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

#14 "Backstage at the Sunken Head" Featuring Landon Webb. This time, In Color!

(Click on the image for a larger version)


Ah, here it is! The Sunken Head! Just like I pictured it. This one really came together with the color. The original is pretty good although with the different color inks it kind of lacked unity. Now it's all together in peace and harmony. I started this one with the ventriloquist act and moved left. I thought that the little guy, the puppet, had such a great outfit on that he needed to be the center of attention. Maybe not the center of attention, but I would work out his coloring and then the rest of the piece would always hark back to him. So he kind of got the "Joker meets Leprechaun" treatment, but I thought it looks pretty cool, especially with the purple elephant wearing a bow-tie. The astronauts outfit was inspired by one of my favorite movies ever, "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Stanley Kubrick. If you haven't seen it yet, see it; it's only been out since 1969. Anyway, in the movie, Dave has two space suits, red and yellow, but they are super bright and eye-popping. I had contemplated making the suit normal colors although what is normal at The Sunken Head? So I gave this young astronaut a Caribbean themed suit with aquas and corals. How harmonious! The astronaut is watering the earth with something horrible so I made the smoke out of pictures from Kuwait in the early 90's when Sadam set fire to the oil wells. It was a horrible tragedy when that happened, but great pictures! From here I moved over to Landons part of the picture. I gave the robot in the head the same treatment as the astronaut, as if they were from the same time period. Then I gave the guy green hair. I'm not sure what this is all about, but there are a couple dudes with green hair here. I think maybe there's too much chlorine in the public water supply. I moved next to Tim's little hook-handed dude and made him some sort of Mexican pimp janitor. I love this dude. He's my favorite character in this one. I think it's because he's so mellow. Everything else is going crazy trying to demand attention, and this dude is just chilling in a room full of crazy people. I was pretty happy coloring this guy and it was the first time I had used highlights! Can you believe it? If you look back at the previous T&Js you see that while coloring, I only used shadows, no highlights. I find that these give the characters even more three dimensional quality and since I'm coloring it in Photoshop, I might as well pull out all the stops. The next step was the two wrestlers. The little guy is an obvious Hulk Hogan look-alike contest winner besides the green hair and the horrible sun burn. His larger buddy looks a little out of shape, maybe not ready for the ring, but you can see in his eyes that he's got the confidence! Finally, I had the picture frame above the whole melee. I thought about doing something else with it, but I like the idea of infinity, so I just made the picture within the picture within the picture and so on and so on, ad nauseam. That reminds me of a song I used to like when I was a kid that I still sing to this day. However, I can't find it on Youtube or anywhere, so nevermind. Happy Hour at The Sunken Head!

No comments:

Post a Comment