Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Friday, March 25, 2011

#15 "Exception to the Rule" Featuring Landon Webb. In Stunning Technicolor!May 10, 2010

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

This is the first time I am showing this one as I wanted it to be shown. When I posted it on Bookface on May 10, 2010, I tried to post it like this but the stupid Face wouldn't let me. I was forced to post it on its side, which works compositionally and every other way as well. I just prefer it this way. I may or may not be better this way. You can be the judge. This whole scene seems to be taking place in the mountainous regions of a distant land. Not too distant as the characters seem familiar, probably American, though not necessarily. The main character is certainly the woman, bowlegged but seemingly confident. She wears her gold framed glasses as a status symbol as well as a fashion statement. Maybe she's in the arts. It's hard to tell from her outfit, which looks like an apron pulled over some ugly blouse. She has no arms yet seems to be holding up a small child with a set of eyes too many. As carefree as a schoolboy, he blows bubbles with one hand while the other balances a hot dog. Tough the actual dog looks delicious, the one end is exploding with some alien being. The alien being turns into a set of hands and a bunny's head dripping horizontally with blood. Oh, the horror. One of the hands balances a martini, though drunkenly spills some of the contents onto the mountain floor. The bird of paradise, once lost and out of place is now giddy and lively, eyeing the dropped martini drops thirstily. Yes, it has been a happy day for our heroine, and she smiles at the thoughts surrounding her head; shoes delicately matching her ugly blouse. Some of my favorite parts are as follows. I really like the hot dog. I have been drawing them for years and they always look similar to this one. Is it cheese and relish on top or mustard and japalenos? It doesn't matter! I don't even like this style of hot dog, but I love drawing them. This was my favorite use of the fold in the triple dupe pad. It is usually a real pain in the neck to clean up the fold. By it's nature, the fold is usually very wrinkled by the time I get them home to scan. So, I have to clean that section of the drawing up a lot. If there are little details in the fold, they are sometimes lost since a cleanly image is more important to me than some crusty lines. This fold is in fact neat and tidy and creates the bottom of our heroines dress; the pink part. It looks great! To anyone else, this is such a minor detail, but I love it. Other than that, I think this is a solid T&J and the first and only one that was ever vertical. The background photo was taken at sunset in St. John. Here is what it looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment