Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

#16 "That Guy Could Talk a Dog Off a Meatwagon" In Color!!! May 19, 2010

(Click on the image to see a larger version)
So, I thought I lost the original drawing of this one, but I just found it. Now, by this point in the T&J saga, we had been using the entire triple dupe pad in these drawings. You can see this one is a little shorter than the previous couple of drawings. That is because on the front cover of the dupe pad, the drawing took a turn for the worse; no, not worse, horrible! I remember what happened too. What you see here is the back cover of the pad, drawn sometime during the course of the week or something. The front cover we started working on one late Friday night. And I mean late. The thing looks like a child's doodle pad complete with stick figures and ridiculous bugs (bees?). I don't know what the heck is going on, but needless to say, I cut it and won't ever post it because it's too insane. If you ever want to see it, you'll have to come over to my house to visit, and I'll show you the original. That's the nature of these drawings though. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they are unusable. It's saddest when they are great and they get thrown away. This happened recently and I am sad about it, but you have to move on. It's not like these things are the Sistine Chapel every time; almost every time, is more like it. This one is a good example of that. Clean, smooth, weird and complete. I personally love mini golf. I think it's because of all those warm summer nights as a kid going to places like "Pirate's Cove" and "Holiday Hill." Pretty good courses and always a good time. I mean, there are few better thrills than a "Hole-in-one" as a kid. But these characters seem to be missing the fun involved. I imagine the main guy as being the coach of the golfer. Talking incessantly about his form and to just relax! That's the downside of golf for most people, and was the reason I stopped playing for a long time. You have to relax. If you are all tensed up, there's no way you're going to sink your putts. I remember playing one day with my brother on a small par 3 and getting so frustrated that when we got home I shaved my head. I was really hot that day, but that summed up my overall attitude of the day. I didn't golf (besides putt-putt) after that for years. These days, I don't get out on the course as much as I would like to, but I finally understand the attitude of golf. This guy in the crazy pants should learn it someday, especially since he's on the greatest of holes, 19, which to most people represents the bar! Win or lose, we booze!

No comments:

Post a Comment