Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

#18 "Straight From the Source" June 9, 2010

(click on image to see larger version)

I don't know if this is the real title to this one or not. It was around this time that we were introduced to a guy named Joe Millar who was creating a new blog about office art. Tim and I had never added titles to these drawings before, but now we had a guy interested in showing them to a wider audience than our Bookface friends. So, one night we named the first 17 T&J drawings. No, maybe 16. Yes. So, the past two I have named myself. You can see one of our posts by clicking This Here Text. I stole the text from our bio on that page as our heading. I thought it was worded well and was an apt description of what Tim and I are doing with these drawings. I guess Joe has ceased to post people doing art at the office, but I'm sure he's doing something else creative. So, to make a long story endless, this is just my interpretation of the title. It might have a different one. 
This one started with the guy on the left who is taking real pleasure in slicing up his face with one of the Cafe Loup steak knives. The rest filled itself in over the next couple of weeks. I remember that guy was really lonely for a while; stuck all by himself on a lonely dupe pad. I can't remember who came next, I can only remember the natives on the far right. I had just watched Apocalypto, the movie by Mel Gibson. Yes, Mel is completely insane and has just gotten crazier over the past couple of years, but I hope some day people will be able to remove his insanity from his movies. For instance, the first Mad Max and "Road Warrior" are pretty awesome movies, I think. I feel like all apocalypse movies are slightly based on those two movies, and other movies like "Water World" are blatant rip offs (another of the worlds worst movies). And then Apocalypto, which I really liked. I'm sure it wasn't very accurate in parts, but what a fun ride. It's the kind of movie that takes you somewhere else, throws you into the crazy situation with no warnings and then spits you out at the end. Pure escapism. These guys are kind of my interpretation of some of the guys in that movie. Mostly the headgear and the nose piercing. I think it was at that point that we decided that this was some kind of crazy deli that served human body parts. If those dudes from Apocalypto  had won at the end (of the hundreds of unmade sequels), this sort of deli could totally be a reality. You could get brains, shanks, ribs, breasts, racks... hey wait a second! This is starting to sound a lot like the menu at the Cafe Loup! I've always wanted to cook up some of our staff and serve them as a special to the unassuming public. It would be like "Fried Green Tomatoes" except garnished with vegetable julians, a Buerre blanc sauce and a side of house vegetables and red bliss mashed potatoes. I swear this is turning into some sort of weird movie blog. I promise I will lay off the movie theme in the future. I want this to be well rounded, like part of this complete breakfast. Complete with a glass of milk, toast, orange juice and a large bowl of Cookie Crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment