Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

#19 "No Lifeguard on Duty!" June 16, 2010

(Click on image to see a larger version)

I am going to be honest. I don't really remember drawing this one. I remember only one part and that's it. The rest of it filled itself in sometime last June sometime. Maybe it was the New York City heat that got to me. Whatever the case, I barely remember this one. Also, I am too lazy right now (almost one year later) to post the original dupe pad scan(s). You see, my scanner isn't big enough to scan the whole thing in it's entirety, so I have to scan half and then put the to halves together. Before I had this blog, I never thought anyone would want to ever see the original scan (although I did keep all of the original scans so that future time travelers can find these files in the post apocalyptic future and print out the files so as to progress their otherwise useless society. Yeah right. They'll have to open the files on their computers made of limestone and twigs. The future is analogue, people). Now that I think of it, I don't think anyone does want to see the originals. That was just me thinking that it was important for people to see them at some crazy point in my life. If anyone wants to see the original scan of this, let me know and I'll post it. Until then, this is pretty close to the original. I mean, it doesn't have any color on it! How much more basic do you want? So, what do I remember, you ask? I only remember drawing the angry guy on the left smoking a pipe. I think Tim drew the pipe, but the angry (cyborg?) was all me. I don't remember why I drew him, although from the look on his face, I can only imagine. It probably was a night like this: I was working with the C team (meaning: the anti-A Team. I won't name any names, but you know who you are.) and we were probably slow enough for me to put some time and energy into the drawing. This would definitely put me into the mood that you see on this fellows face. I have been working at the Cafe Loup for a long time now, and I have lost a lot of patience when it comes to working with the C team. I mean, you people know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you all work with at least two people that you either don't like very much, or absolutely hate. Every workplace has at least one. The good thing about the Cafe Loup, is that when you work different days, you get to work with different people. So some days you get the A Team and on those other sad days, you get the C or D, or the worst; F Teams. What can you do? You can suck it up or quit! Or one thing that works well for me, is neglect my customers, hang out in the waiters station and ignore everyone around me while drawing pictures of how I feel at the moment. Yes, this may be neglectful and unprofessional, but at least I get a couple cool pictures out of it. And endless fodder for a blog that no one reads! Bonus! I'll tell you more about this drawing in the full color version. That one is way better anyway. Until then, keep slacking off at work, people! After all, it's too hot to do anything, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment