Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

#21 "Untitled Number 21" July 30, 2010 In Color

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

I couldn't come up with a good name for this one. Maybe if I brainstorm while writing, I could come up with something better than the old cop-out, "Untitled." I don't know though. I just looked at it again for a good couple minutes and nothing comes to mind. Yes, it is cohesive drawing with some sort of story arc. In fact, it probably has multiple story arcs, depending on the viewers capacity for weirdness. But what pulls it all together? I can't find that element. Who would be the main character in this story? Maybe it's all a vision from the smoking Neapolitan ice cream snowman. Maybe it's the saga of the robotic bum. Maybe it's a vision of the future as told by the little girl on the left with her as the old woman. Maybe the blood thirsty wizard on roller skates is about to pull a gun and kill everyone! The point is, there are a lot of probables and no clear cut answers in this one. That is why it remains untitled at this point in our lives. That being said, this was one of my favorites at the time for some reason or another. As I said in the last post, it was also Dien's favorite. It wasn't may favorite when we drew it, but I did have a good time coloring it in and I think it really came alive with the colors. I really liked coloring the old woman's hat with the monkey squirrel on it. I thought that was a cool hat to begin with, but the color really brought it to life. I also drew more in post than I ever had previously. I usually don't like to draw in post production because I think it looks too "computerized." You can see the pixels and it doesn't look like a "drawn" line. With this one, I broke out of that and drew a couple of things. The first one was the human bum's sign, "Get a job, hippie." When I was drawing that, Tim had wanted me to send a message to one of his frienamies down in Florida. He was in a fight with this kid and the bum shown here was a representation of this person, if I remember correctly. I looked on the old interweb to see if I could find some witty bum signs. I found a bunch although most were along the lines of "will work for beer," "Why lie, I need a beer," and "Bet you can't hit me with a quarter." Yes, all of them were sadly amusing, but none of them seemed right. So, I turned the tables and had the bum ordering instead of asking. He is accusing you and I, the hippies of the world, to go out and get a job. Either that, or I am accusing him of being a hippie and telling him (or Tim's pal) to get a job. Either way, I thought it was a good twist on the old bum sign. The second thing I drew in post production in the graffiti in the background. This was my tag while I was in high school. I did a lot of tagging in Syracuse N.Y. back then. I never got into the whole graffiti culture and spray cans, I was more of a Sharpie Magnum kind of guy. My proudest moment was when I was called to the principals office of my high school and they used my tag name over the loud speaker. It was like I was a celebrity! All of my tagging friends were so proud. I got high fives and hugs all day and we laughed and laughed. Looking back on it, I was a real jerk to my high school janitors. All they wanted was a clean and tidy school, and I just drew all over it with this stupid tag. You might be able to still see some of it outside the "C" building if you're ever in Syracuse, although I haven't checked in a while so maybe it's all been painted over or washed away by the elements. This was a long time ago, after all. Finally, there are two pictures imbedded in this one. One is of a fireworks display right behind the robotic bums head. I love the original picture, but I'm not sure if it works here or not. I'm not loving it at the moment. The other is over near the beheaded chicken king. I wanted it to be a blue background that was ambiguous and didn't want to use the blue, partly cloudy skies that I always use, so I got this picture. Both pictures are from the Holga and this one is, again, from St. John. In fact, there is a guy named John in the original picture, although no one calls him that. I like the way the Holga distorts everything , and this picture is no exception. I have included it below for you're viewing pleasure. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment