Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Monday, June 27, 2011

#22 "The End of an Affair" July 26, 2010 in Color!

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

When I was a kid and I played chess, I would sometimes imagine these weird scenes off the board when I would capture pieces. I would have a captured queen make out with my king. I would imagine the pawns were all really bummed out to have to be sitting out of the battle. Sometimes it takes your opponent a long time to play their move, so there's a lot of down time in a chess match. Nowadays, I concentrate too hard on not losing to have these scenarios during a game, but they obviously are still clanging around in my brain somewhere. So, this one took a couple of strange turns while I was coloring it. The most notable one to me is what the knight is thinking. I couldn't come up with anything for what she was thinking, since she seems so sad. So I thought maybe she would think of the worst fate that could bestow her (either for cheating with the opposing sides bishop or for painting such a bad painting). So, I turned her back into a horse and figured the worst thing to happen to a horse is to become dog food. Think about it, you die and then are eaten by dogs. That would be horrible. There isn't horse meat in dog food, by the way; I checked. Once upon a time there must have been otherwise people wouldn't still think that there is even to this day. Maybe I should have put little jars of glue up there instead since they do still make glue out of horse hooves. However, I stuck with the dog food option since I think it is funnier. Not that I think dead horses are funny. But this is a cartoon, people. And, our horse isn't even real, she's a chess piece! So, the next little thing I liked about this one was the family portrait over the bed. I like that we are in the bedroom of this knight and she is indeed having a sordid affair with the bishop of the opposing team. I keep referring to the knight as a "her" but everyone knows that knights are gender neutral. I am merely implying that the bishop is a man because of his phallic nature. Maybe he is the woman in this situation. Maybe it is some sort of gay affair. These things also happen! So if you have your own interpretation, by all means, go with it! Anyway, at the very end I decided that this whole thing would look best in a nice gilded frame. It reinforces the fact that we are all looking at a picture and not at an actual scene of two chess pieces having an inter-team love affair. I just wanted everyone to be on the same page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment