Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

#24 "On Empty At The VMAs" Sept. 13, 2010 in full color!

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

Here is the final version of the On Empty and Tim & Jeremy's Mind on Loup collaboration. Well, I guess it's a commission since they didn't actually collaborate on the drawing. As I was saying in the last post, we put Ty and Vince in a little later, in the post production part of the drawing. In one of the episodes, Ty and Vince get arrested for trespassing in the Hollywood sign park. It is illegal to hang out at the Hollywood sign, after all. I would not have thought that.  It is though, so don't go spray paint it. I took their mug shots and did some caricatures of them and then placed them in the drawing. At first I couldn't figure out where they all were. I did a couple different versions where they were all hanging out near the Hollywood sign but all of those versions looked stupid. The sign was so small you couldn't even see it. So it looked like they were in some random forest or something. Then, a miraculous thing happened. Well, it happens every year, so I guess it's not that miraculous. The MTV Video Music Awards were happening right at the same time I was finishing up coloring this one. It was perfect! Of course they made it onto the red  carpet! In the show, they are always sneaking into places; the Hollywood sign, closed movie studios, Catalina Island, you name it. So it made perfect sense to me that they somehow found themselves on the red carpet at the MTV VMAs. Their friends on the red carpet could certainly be some famous people, or maybe they are just famous peoples agents and managers. Regardless, they are all dressed nicely and look like they belong. Ty and Vince on the other hand, look kind of nervous, like they are going to be exposed any second now. This drawing also marked a huge occasion for me personally. This was the first drawing I ever did with the Wacom pen. I was a little nervous about it, but eventually by the end of the drawing, I felt comfortable with it and haven't been able to color in a drawing without it since. It actually blows my mind that all 23 previous drawings were colored in using only a mouse! That's ridiculous! I'm not saying this drawing is the greatest thing in the world and I know Wacom would not use this as proof that they have an incredible product. But! The difference to me was huge. Check out the purple guy with the busted head. He was the last guy I colored in, I think. He was the guy that solidified my love for the Wacom. Well, if you are feeling lazy, I have attached an episode of "On Empty" for you below. Since I talked about the Hollywood sign episode so much, it only makes sense that this is the one I post. It is also the first episode they ever shot and posted, so it makes sense that way as well. I hope you enjoy it!



No comments:

Post a Comment