Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

#30 "Take Us to Your Weeder" February 26, 2011

(Click on the Image to See a Larger Version)

Yes, it's a silly name and maybe I will change it some day, but I also find silly names are sometimes the best. Tim and I are a big fan of stupid puns as well. This would be a good crossword puzzle answer; the question would be: 14. Across "Saying from an alien with a green thumb?" The answer even has a ton of vowels in it, so it would be perfect for the puzzle. Don't steal that one, Mr. Shortz! Crosswords are a big thing at the Cafe Loup. Even before Tim worked there, I would do one every night that I worked for years and years. I would read the Daily News or the Post (which we used to get every day at the Loup)  over staff dinner and then steal the page with the puzzle on it. I would work on the puzzle with whoever was around, usually Recleaux, and then eventually Tim. This went on for years and I got pretty good at them. Lloyd, however, remains the king of crosswords, and I think he would be very happy if he read that. He would always criticize me for doing the puzzles in pen. He said that you should only do them in pencil so it doesn't look so messy when you mess up a couple answers. I still disagree and will always try to do the puzzle in blue pen if I can, red if I'm lucky. The way the color pops off the black and white page is always better than the dull grey of a pencil. And who cares if it looks messy? Mine always do anyway, what with all the doodles in the margin. Why not make that "tsar" into "czar" by trying to cover up the "t" and "s" with a "c" and a "z." It shows progress. It shows that you aren't as smart as you thought you originally were, but are trying to get better. We rarely do the puzzle at work anymore. Lloyd only gets the News now and sometimes will take it home with him before we even get to work. If it is still laying around when we get there, he will have already cut out both puzzles from the paper and put them in his "puzzles" folder underneath the reservation book. We could always steal some of these from him, as he has hundreds backed up and waiting to be filled with pencil, but we have these drawings to do now! This one started out with the snail guy over on the right and the central character weed-whacking. He was originally just a head, but I gave him his weed-whacker and wheel legs. I am starting to forget how these things came about. I think I should do a better job at this blog, and catch up so that I can give a better description of how they came about. Although, sometimes I can't even remember what we did yesterday, much less almost a year ago. Sometimes, I'll come in after my weekend and look in the drawer and see some crazy drawings that I had done, and only vaguely remember doing it. That is one of the beauties about drawing while drinking, although can sometimes be a rude awakening. It depends on how good (or horribly insane) the drawing is. On a recent drawing (which probably won't make it to this blog for another year) I wrote down the thought process on the back so we wouldn't forget why we had drawn on it. Maybe I will do that more often. But probably not. You people are going to have to suffer though stories about the restaurant, and not the art work. Ok? Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment