Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

#31 "Turkey Time!" featuring Lael and Vosse. March 14, 2011

(Click on the Image to See a Larger Version)

I admit that I don't really like this one. No offense to Tim or Lael or Vosse, or even myself. You can't like all your children, can you? I just feel like it's not finished, but I was compelled to take it home anyway. I don't really know why. It looks so plain to me now. Sometimes these drawings get too busy, I admit, but this one is the opposite of that. This one sat in the drawer for a while. I drew the turkey on the right on Thanksgiving in 2010. I don't recall my inspiration for it, I guess I was upset about some customer. The guy on the left was also drawn in 2010, as you can tell from the Roman numerals on his base. The rest of it must have been done at some point in 2011, as that's when we published in on Bookface. But that's the nature of these things. They span an incredible time period sometimes. Anyway, we were at the bar one Sunday night, ad Lael and Vosse came in, as they sometimes do. They are a couple of artists who have been coming to the Loup since before I worked there. They are very fun loving people and great to have around. Usually very positive, and always good with conversation. I kind of remember this night as being the first time they became aware that Tim and I do these drawings. We may have been working on it, or we mentioned it and they wanted to see it. So, I gave them this one and they doodled on it a bit. Lael did the invisible figure next to the right hand mustachioed man. Vosse did the mustache on the other guy, his hair, and his one, all seeing eye. They are both artists, so I was really happy that they contributed their doodles. When they have their first retrospective at the MoMa, maybe this piece will be included and I will have made it into the MoMa through the back door. Insert maniacal laugh here. Anyway, now when they come in, I usually show them the recent ones we're working on. In fact, Vosse was in last Sunday and thought that one of dupe pads that had a couple scribbles on it was one of the new pieces. It was lying next to the register behind the bar. I let him hold it, as it was just a couple scribbles, and he gave it back to me and said, "I liked it better over there." I guess it needs some work! Anyway, if you want to look at their artwork, check out their websites.

Lael Marshall:

Michael Voss (Vosse):

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment