Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Friday, February 3, 2012

#35 "Birdhouse in Your Acid Trip" May 11, 2011 in Color!

(click on the image to make it big!)

That sentence directly below the picture is a good example of a dangling modifier. You see, because although we know that if you click the image, the image itself will become larger, but you could also read it as: if you click the image, you will become rich and famous. Get it? Ok, enough with that literary nonsense, I apologize. I didn't know what to call this one, so I referenced the first real song off They Might Be Giant's album "Flood." However, the guy with the purple and green outfit does seem to be on some sort of psychedelic journey so I put that acid part in there. It should be called "I'd Wear That As A Hat." And from now on, that is the official name and the name listed above is just for the internet. When this picture is shown somewhere outside of the internet it will be known as the latter. I think when I named it I was hung up on the birdhouse aspect of the picture, which is actually very small and insignificant to the whole piece. Maybe that it why I was drawn to it. I like the little things in life; keys, pens, miniature spoons. That may be because I am not a large person myself. I'm not saying I don't like big things, some of my best friends are tall and my favorite cars are those from the 60's to the 80's that were freakishly large objects. In a lot of these pictures, the best parts are really small parts of the overall picture. Some day I do hope that some of you will come over to Brooklyn to look at the drawings on the monitor with me and we can go into your favorite ones, making them huge. That's always one of my favorite parts about coloring them. The lines looks crazy when they're blown up 250%. It becomes a crazy world of shapes and colors, the whole picture broken down to pixels. I've thought about showing these pictures on the walls of the Loup and I always want them to be the same exact size as the Triple Dupe Pad for consistency. One day, though I would love to see one of these printed out on a plotter, 5 feet tall and 15 feet wide. That would be sweet. Or maybe even bigger! It's the big things in life! The small things are overrated! I have completely changed my outlook on life in about ten sentences. Seriously though, this one would actually look good as a large piece. I have always really liked this one and it's nice to see it again in color. A lot of the T&J from this time period (and even now) are very busy with almost too much going on. This one, though busy and also with too much going on seems to work out just fine. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it doesn't need to. The composition makes it work. I could use a little more 3D action, but that will come later when I have the technology to turn all of these into 3D holograms. Then you people are in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment