Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

#38 "Poseidon Adventure" July 14, 2011

(Click on the Image to see Larger Version)

I couldn't come up with a cool name for this one. I was going to go with "All Hail King Neptune and His Water Breathers!" from the Plastic Beach album by Gorillaz but it's so long and no one in the picture seems to even know King Neptune there. It looks more like there is some sort of movie being filmed and the fisherman, mermaid, and little man are all the stars. King Neptune is maybe the Grip or the director; possibly the props manager. With that in mind, it should have a title that suggests it's Hollywood roots: "Poseidon Adventure" possibly. Actually, that might work. Let's go with that. So, now that I've worked that out in my mind and live on this blog, let's move on. It seems that the summer of 2011 was a very creative time for Tim and I. From #35 up until #42, all of these pieces seem to be very concise and if not well thought out, then at least well executed. As you will see as I post the next couple of T&J drawings, this little section of time is pretty good, if I do say so myself. One of my favorite parts about this one is King Neptune himself. Usually people draw him with a human head and a fish tail, but I thought it would be interesting to reverse this and give him a nice, freaky fish head. There are a lot of extremely scary fish in the sea. Luckily for us, as humans, we can't descend to the depths that these really scary looking fish live. We could come in contact with some real horrible things though; sharks, Orcas, and poisonous jellyfish are all pretty freaky. I personally have come in contact with some creepy things in my day. For instance, I saw a bunch of Barracudas down in the Caribbean. Even little fish can scare you if you are swimming and they sneak up on you, or you catch a glimpse of them out of the corner of your eye while submerged in the ocean. I think that is because the ocean is a very claustrophobic place, despite it's enormity. When you are submerged in the ocean, you can't see very well, you can't hear much of anything, and you can't breathe. All of these things combine for a borderline terrifying experience if you really think about it. People have been to the moon but they haven't explored the depths of the oceans yet. The first photographs of the Giant Squid weren't taken until 2004. The ocean is an alien world and it is right smack dab on this planet; it is the majority of the planet. And we know practically nothing about it.  I personally like to swim in the ocean, and I also enjoy diving deep out in the middle of the ocean. It is very scary though, but I feel like maybe that is why I enjoy doing it; I like to scare myself. Up to a limit of course. Anyway, when I first posted this on Bookface, only two people liked it! This was one of my favorite ones to date, and yet it got no love. Not that Tim and I do these for the accolades. We do these as an escape from work, first and foremost. However, I am always amused that a picture of a taco can get 100 likes and something like this only gets 2. Although, you haven't yet seen the color version yet, so maybe it's not good and only deserved 2 likes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment