Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

#20 "Birth of a Nation" July 1, 2010. Featuring Landon Webb

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

This is another one I don't remember doing in person, although I remember coloring it in. But we'll get to that version later. It has some Landon Webb action in it, so it must have been kicking around the bar late at night on a Friday or something. I think this is the last one that Landon participates in for a while. I could be wrong. He is a very talented young man and it was always nice when he would drop in and contribute someone drinking a martini. The glass always looks so refreshing! That guy didn't make it on until late in the drawing, as the jewish fellow all the way to the left was the first guy. Poor guy was born with a penis for a hand! That's too bad, although it is rather large, so maybe he is having the last laugh. I remember putting in the illegal immigrant robots going to work in the back of the truck, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you when I made them coming out(?) of that one guy's butt. That must have been a late night as well. Although maybe not! Maybe I was taking a break between getting you your coffee and adding up your check. Maybe it was during the rush, and I had a couple seconds to jot down the very sick idea of a truck coming out (or going in) some poor mans anus. Maybe it was a revenge plot. You, the customer had pissed me off really good or stiffed me on the tip and this was my revenge. At any rate, it turned into a moving van and the rest is history. I guess it doesn't matter how these things are made, as long as they are made. Although at the same time, it would be cool if everything meant something. If it all had some sort of meaning not only at the Cafe Loup, but for the whole world. I guess if that was the case, there would be more than 5 followers on this blog and more people would comment on them when we upload then to Bookface. Seriously though, it would be impossible for me to know everything that went into this drawing since I only did half of it. Even if I told you that the squid coming out of the other penis handed man's head meant that we had calamari for staff meal and it made me throw up (hence, coming out of the head), it wouldn't make the drawing more or less interesting. Actually, no; that would make it more interesting. But sadly, that is not the case. I have thrown up after eating the staff meal once or twice in my long run at the Loup, but never from the calamari, that I can remember. Lloyd says that the Loup's staff meal is the best in New York City. Since I only worked at a couple of other restaurants in New York, I can't tell you if that is true for sure. Sometimes, I think maybe it is, although when it is rice with undercooked boiled chicken, I might have different opinion. I like how Tim describes it. He calls them "culinary abortions" when there is a certain cook making the dishes. I think that is pretty much true and to the point. But hey, it's free food! And you know what they say, "There is no free lunch."

No comments:

Post a Comment