Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

#26 "Gettin' the Band Back Together" October 1, 2010

(click on the image above to see a larger version)

This one was obvious. We should have done this one so much earlier in our career. Tim and I both love music and are in bands, so it's weird that we had never done one that focuses on a band. Tim is now playing in the band Laura Minor and the Talented Jailbirds and I am in the band Project Jenny, Project Jan. We both play a lot of shows so you should come out and see us sometime. Also, buy our albums. Shameless self promotion aside, this is a band I would totally pay to see. They look like they would be awesome live. I don't know exactly what they would sound like, but they are obviously kicking ass right now. The drawing started out with the old man punk on the far right and kind of moved in from there. So he must be the band leader. Ever since the 90's, I have been obsessed with the fact of punks growing old and wrinkly. I can't wait to see all of their faded tattoos and saggy piercings in the future. So this guy was my vision of that. He actually looks pretty good, so maybe my theory of old tattoos is a little off base; then again, he is a cartoon with a giant head. Next came the hottie of the group, who unfortunately is getting stabbed in the boob by a hook. This may be the band leaders way of making her play better, and she doesn't seem to mind that much, so lets look at it in a positive light. Tim drew the awesome pants-less bass player and the drummer on the same day, I think, and they are bringing the whole back line to life. The bass players outfit is priceless, and playing with no pants takes some serious balls, although this fellow doesn't seem to have any! Poor guy. The last components were the key-tar player, the lead singer and the organ grinder guy who is actually an electric monkey grinder. I may have been under the influence of some sort of substance, but when I saw that guys face, I thought he was an organ grinder. Organ grinders traditionally have monkeys that collect tips, but I combined this fact with the grinder in my mind with the result of possibly the most gruesome instrument ever created. What kind of sound does that even make? I don't think PETA would attend many of these shows, and there would probably be online petitions going around to ban this band from playing anywhere. I thought the lead singer should be a real presence, so I combined a bunch of elements from rock and roll history. Spikes, gut, beard, sideburns, filed teeth, two microphones, and of course, pumpkin mask. I don't remember any lead singers of rock's past that wore a pumpkin while playing, but there should have been, by golly. What a great look. All together, this band looks totally awesome. I hope someday that this picture becomes really famous and spawns tribute bands that model themselves on this picture. All the elements of a great band are right there! I will go see them and see what kind of songs they sing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment