Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

#26 "Gettin' the Band Back Together" October 1, 2010 in color!

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

Now it looks like these guys totally rock! Definitely a band I want to see nowish. I think we did this while working on Sunday. Sunday at the Cafe Loup is dedicated solely to serving food and listening to live jazz. We have The Bob Kindred Trio during brunch and Junior Mance during the evening. Notice I did not include an imbed for Bob Kindred. He is not a kindred spirit. He drives all of the staff at the Loup a little batty and his jazz is the bad kind. Junior, on the other hand is a legend of jazz. He is 80 something and has been playing out for 70 years. Yes, he told us how he started playing in bars when he was 10 living in Chicago. That is an impressive career already, but then add in the fact that he has played with Dizzy Gilespe, Dinah Washington, Cannonball Adderly, and freakin' Charlie Parker. Dude has an impressive resume and he lived through the birth of jazz. So, we are lucky enough to see him play pretty much every Sunday night. It's really great, but sometimes all that jazz gets under your skin and starts to itch. So, Tim and I got started on this one, which, at least in our minds, was a quiet respite from the jazz in our ear holes. I'm not saying that I don't like Junior. It is quite the contrary. I feel like one of the luckiest bartenders on the planet on Sunday night listening to Junior. He is a national treasure. I am merely saying that you need an escape route sometimes from the daily grind. That's one of the great things about this project Tim and I have started. It is really a great way to block out the surrounding chaos of the restaurant and get some quiet time in even when surrounded by a full restaurant. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a job. Draw cartoons. It helps. So, anyway.... I had a great time coloring this one in. I should probably start taking notes of the music I listen to while drawing these; I can sometimes remember, but this was done about a year ago, so I am at a loss. It's too bad, although I don't think the music I was listening to would really contribute that much to the colors I used. Then again, maybe it would. I haven't looked that deeply into that. Coloring it made me like the bass player more than I already did, and I think the old punks pink hair is awesome. He came together well, what with the ink and all. Finally, I needed a cool rock n' roll background. You might laugh but I don't care. I got the background from a couple photos I took at a Widespread Panic show. I don't listen to those dudes, but that night, my band Project Jenny, Project Jan was playing a festival in Michigan. There were some good bands and some bad ones, but Widespread was headlining that night. I had an artist badge, so I went up on stage to watch them. I wasn't that excited about the music, but the roar of 50,000 people when they finished was incredible. The pictures I got from that weekend are pretty sweet. If you ever want to see some of them, I have a album posted on Bookface. But, in case you don't have an account yet, here is one of the pictures I used. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment