Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Friday, August 10, 2012

#36 "Composite Corpse" May 30, 2011 in color!

(Click on the image to make it bigger!)

It's been a while since I put a new post up here. Sorry about that, people. I've been doing a bunch of other things. I haven't even been coloring in the T&J's that I have all stacked up on my desktop! I'm over a year behind and have no real idea when I will ever catch up; if ever. It seems like I will have to get fired from Cafe Loup to ever really catch up. The good news is that Tim and I have been making new ones at work every day we are there. So this is 36; we're up to 71 at last count. Now, I have colored up to 50, I think, so we have a lot more to post here, but again, I have been pressed for time. I'm pretty sure the last post was kind of bitter; I was thinking about it last night when I was having another crappy night at the Loup. Summer is always hard because the business is slow, but everyone still wants to work because no one has any money. It's a double edged sword; you don't actually want to be at work, but you need money so you have to work. Then, the money isn't that great, so you struggle through the night standing around neglecting tables. It gives us a bunch of time to work on these, and so I feel like the summer versions are always better than the winter versions because we are able to put more time into them. Not always the case, but maybe 70% true. I would have to go back through the records to be sure. Also, these days, a lot of the drawings are taking months to complete instead of the weeks we used to do them in. I think I have mentioned that before. I actually finished one up last night that has a similar component to this one. That makes me a little scared that we are out of original ideas, and are now just rehashing old ideas in new situations. That's a little scary. That means we're becoming like Big Hollywood and just making the same movie over and over again with different scenarios and younger, prettier actors. Except in Tim and my case, the actors get uglier! That's another thing about drawing people at work. A lot of the times you are dealing with ugly people, so inadvertently you draw these ugly people. There have been a couple instances where we draw actual people, but I try to stay away from that because then when I am home coloring them in and posting them on this blog, I have to think about these ugly people and then write about them. That's annoying. I don't even want to think about them when they are in the restaurant, much less bring them home with me. But I feel like I've mentioned this before. Maybe it's me whose turned into a Hollywood screenwriter! Oh, the horror! Stay tuned for Spiderman 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment