Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

#37 "Feeding the Man Machine" June 16, 2011

(Click on the Image to Make it Larger!)

Ok, so I am over a year behind. Again. I don't think I am ever going to catch up. I've got over 10 of these ready to be colored. I've got over 15 new ones to throw on this blog. That makes 30 blog posts if I continue with the current method of writing about the originals and the colored versions. I'm not complaining, merely explaining, but I just haven't had the time to do it at this point in my life. I've been working on some other projects for a little over a year and they are just now going to see the light of day... maybe. It's kind of cool because the methods that I used with these drawings has really helped me in my current project. So, that's a plus. In the meantime, all 2 of you faithful readers will be happy to know that Tim and I still work at the Cafe Loup, for better or worse. We survived Hurricane Sandy, although the Loup was closed for nearly a week. I don't think they have ever been closed for that long, not even during the move from the original location back in 1989. We had to throw out all of our food and start from scratch a week later. Not that it affected me personally; I was out of town for the whole thing and ended up not having to cover all those shifts! I did have to walk from Brooklyn to the Loup for a couple of shifts when I returned. The L train didn't work for a week or so after everyone else in Manhattan got their power back. It's a pretty nice walk though, and I recommend it to anyone. You get to go over the Williamsburg Bridge, and during this time, the bridge was crowded with Brooklynites walking to and from work. Although Sandy was a true bitch and ruined so many peoples lives, New York is always a slightly nicer place to live after these events. I say this in a very general way, as someone who's neighborhood never even lost power. If I lived in Breezy Point, The Rockaways, Staten Island, or any of the places that really go hit hard, I would probably not say such things. However, I say it because people all got together and helped each other out as much as possible. Lower Manhattanites moved to Brooklyn for the week. Everyone took a little vacation for the week. Everyone got a chance to chill out for a spell while they assessed the damage elsewhere. It gave people the chance to step back from their lives and reflect. It's like that during big snow storms here in New York as well, but for (usually) a shorter amount of time. Sandy was, and still continues to be, a nightmare for thousands of people, but it does bring out the best in people. You almost like the human race again when you see the generosity and kindness to strangers that something like that brings out in people. Then, of course, are the looters. They suck. But I can understand them, too. A week without T.V. would make me loot. Booze. Lots and lots of booze.
So everything is back to normal. Come by and see Tim and I at the Cafe Loup one of these nights and we'll swap stories about this crazy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment