Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

#27 "Prank Call on the Party Line" October 27, 2010

(Click on the image to see a larger version)

This one got out of hand pretty quickly, I'd say. It started either with Tim's Sphinx or the little police man over in the mess that may be alien. At any rate, it went from there and here we are. I do think the main character is the guy on the phone. He seems like the focal point to me, and is certainly the most normal looking character despite his hook hand. In this case, he is probably making a prank phone call to the Cafe Loup using a party line. For those of you who don't know what a party line is, you can read more about it here. I don't think anyone still uses that technology except for maybe out in the middle of nowhere. This guy is clearly on another planet, so they probably have that technology there. I sometimes pull prank calls on other people at the Cafe Loup. I never do anything wild, like tell them that we are closed because of mutant rats overwhelming the walk-in or anything like that, although I should. No, I merely will listen to people tell me what they need to; either complaining or making reservations where they need a specific table and then I tell them that they have been talking with Frank. I do that all the time. That way, if they do, in fact, show up and complain to the bosses about anything, they got their information from Frank. This is kind of an offhanded prank not on the potential customers, but on Frank himself. I find that very funny, and you might think I'm a jerk for doing that, but Frank still has a job, so it obviously doesn't work the way I really want it to work. Usually, this is the time in the blog where I tell you some interesting anecdote about the person I have been talking about for the past couple sentences. This is not one of those times. Instead, I will talk about the drawing again. I decided to put the phone booth embedded in a fat mans butt. I can't tell you exactly why, but I will tell you about the phycology of the placement. I could be way off here, I am not a professional phycologist, so take it with a couple grains of rice. The phone rings a lot at the Cafe Loup. A lot. Some times someone who is hearing impaired puts the ringer volume way up and it is so loud at table three that my customers actually get scared once in a while. Most of the time, the people on the other end of the phone are making reservations, but the other half of the time, it's people trying to sell us stupid stuff. Or pay for the stuff we already bought. Either way, it's all annoying when you are really busy and people keep calling asking all these insane questions or trying to make you commit to some scheme they just thought up. So next time you prank call the Cafe Loup or tell me something crazy, you will be talking to Frank. Good bye!


P.S. There is another part to this drawing that shows up in the colored version. I drew it on the back of the triple dupe pad you see above. I decided early on that I wanted to include it in this drawing, and I eventually did, so I don't want you to be surprised when it magically appears on the colored version, so here it is in it's original state:



No comments:

Post a Comment