Tim and Jeremy are both waiters at a restaurant in downtown New York City. During slow times at work, to stave off boredom when it is slow, the two young men draw pictures. These pictures are made using ink and what is called the "Triple Dupe Pad," a book of paper used to place orders in the kitchen. The drawings usually take about a week to make, all the while also being used by fellow employees to take orders; this sometimes leads to other collaborators or in a couple cases, to the loss of the work. The drawings are then scanned and colored in Photoshop where they come to life in stunning technicolor! The subject matter varies from piece to piece, as they are made over a long course of time and under various moods and states of mind. They all retain a playfulness that serves as a coping mechanism after spending a night catering to the endless needs of hungry patrons.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

#39 "Tour De Franzia" July 24, 2011 (In Color!)

(Click on the Image to make it BIGGER!)

I was going to start this blog off talking about Joshua Topolsky but then I got distracted and had to update my Twitter, FaceBook, Tumblr, and all the rest because he just inspires me to do that sort of thing. So here I am, a half hour later writing what I was going to write a while ago. The reason I bring up Mr. Topolsky is because, not only is he a sometime regular at the Cafe Loup, his reservation for sometime in March(?) of 2011 is written clearly in the bottom right hand corner of the picture above. I made it into a gravestone and I was going to take out the writing in post-production and put in something witty, but then Josh and his comrades kept coming in and being model customers so I decided to leave it in. I like that it is a gravestone now especially, since it says "Josh AOL Niwa(?) 18 9:00." This means that Mr. Topolsky was still writing for AOL's Engadget and was bringing in 17 of his closest associates (at 9pm, natch). When he started his new project, The Verge, he continued bringing in large parties, but I like that "Josh AOL" is now a gravestone, representing his time at AOL. When I turned that into a gravestone, I don't even think I knew who he was yet. It's funny when someone with relative fame comes in on a regular basis and you have no idea who this person is. This happened to me with John Slattery from Mad Men. I wasn't watching the show yet and I was waiting on this handsome dude when Edie came up to me and said, "That guy is on Mad Men." and I think my reply was something along the lines of, "shrug." Now that I have watched all of the episodes ever created, and Roger Sterling is my favorite character, I would probably have quite a different reaction to seeing him sitting at table 16. This goes for a lot of different people, although it's funny that this is something that affects us. My buddy Philip doesn't care who you are when you come into the Cafe Loup, to him they are just another customer. I like his attitude, but for me, if I know that you are some sort of celebutard, famous tech writer, author, musician, national/international figure, I am going to try to give you the greatest service ever. And I don't mean all the hoity-toity waiter nonsense that one would see in a five star restaurant; I mean the down-to-earth, amiable, and friendly service of the Cafe Loup. Because, for me, I want to see these people coming back to the Loup all the time. I want them to be my new regulars. Why, you ask? First and foremost, most of these people are good tippers. I could say, "Nuff Said" here but I won't. Instead I will go on to say that these kind of people are a pleasure to wait on because they know how to act in a restaurant. A lot of our regulars at the Loup are crotchety, grouchy, horribly needy, and evil. I can write this freely, because I know that these people do not read blogs, much less my blog. These are people who have been coming to the Loup since "it was at the old location" and still have no idea how to order or be polite. So, I'm not saying that all celebutards are good tippers and a delight to have in the restaurant; there are some who come in and the sight of them makes you cringe. I am merely saying that I really like people who come in the restaurant, make the job a pleasure and then leave a good tip. I guess if everyone was like this, and one was always only waiting on well behaved celebutards, waiting tables would be a more glamourous job and every wanna-be actress would want to be a waitress. Wait a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment